Developer Founding date:
Game Release date:
August 13th, 2015
Press / Business Contact:
Lying on your back in a warm grassy field, you watch birds flit between the clouds above.
Gathering Sky is a playful and emotive experience about a flock of birds. You start with a single bird high above the ground. Guide the bird through the sky with your touch or a mouse, exploring the world and finding other birds to join you. Your flock grows as you travel across the beautiful skies of a far-off land and create an expressive story without words.
Gathering Sky is a bit of a love letter to the games we'd like to see made: games that aren't about winning, scoring, conquering or even necessarily making progress. We want you to sit down to wrap yourself in a short journey and return to your life feeling just a bit better.
Gathering Sky is a musical experience featuring a 45 minute evocative, emotional score composed by Dren McDonald that weaves within the soundscapes of this mysterious world. The score was recorded this year at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music T.A.C. Studios.
The TeamA Stranger Gravity is an interactive experience design studio in San Francisco, California. We design and build thoughtful, accessible experiences that seek to enrich the lives of people across the world.
Dren McDonald came to the project late in development, in the fall of 2014. Once onboard, he worked with the San Francisco Conservatory of Music for the recording of the music -- a dynamic score that changes based on player progress through the different worlds of the game. Dren also created the sound design for the game, mixing both musical sounds with natural sounds and enigmatic soundscapes for Gathering Sky.
Gathering Sky Trailer YouTube
Click here for a downloadable folder of these screenshots in multiple resolutions. There are far more images available for Gathering Sky, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Awards & Recognition
- "Independent Games Festival: Honorable Mention" - Spring 2016
- "2016 Game Audio Network Guild Awards - Best Audio for an Indie Game" - Spring 2016
- "2016 Game Audio Network Guild Awards - Best Game Audio Article, Publication or Broadcast" - Spring 2016
- "2016 Game Audio Network Guild Awards - Best Sound Design in a Casual/Social Game" - Spring 2016
- "IndieCade 2015 Digital Selection" - October 2015
- "PAX East Minibooth Selection" - Spring 2015
- "EDGE Magazine - Hype Section" - April 2015
- "FunPlus Indie Plus Finalist" - GDC, San Francisco, 3/2/2015
- "Digital Selection at GamerCamp" - Toronto, Fall 2014
- "Indie Prize Showcase, Casual Connect: Most Promising Indie Title" - San Francisco, 7/24/2014
- "PocketGamer Big Indie Pitch, 3rd Place" - San Francisco, 7/21/2014
- "Digital Selection: Boston Festival of Indie Games" - Boston, September, 2013
- "GDIAC Showcase: People's Choice" - Ithaca NY, 5/6/2014
- "[...] there are no particular goals, no puzzles to solve, no targets to reach. And yet I sat compelled as I played almost the whole game in one sitting."
- John Walker, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "In the hectic insanity of the gaming world, it’s a much-needed moment of rest and peace"
- Hardcore Gamer
- "Simple and transfixing all at once"
- "[...] relaxing gameplay that can hardly be compared to any recent release on the market; portable and otherwise"
- Dominik Bosnjak, Portable Gaming Region
- "They say they're pursuing the creation of beautiful, thoughtful interactions. It seems they're on the right track"
- Chris Priestman, Pocket Gamer
- "Yes, please, I'd like to be playing this now."
- Rock Paper Shotgun
- "[Gathering Sky] is less a game and more a thoughtful, contemplative experience."
- Ken Gagne, Computer World
- Dren McDonald, original musical score, orchestration, mix & production, sound design and audio implementation
- Katie von Braun, violin
- Sarah Lee, viola
- Esther Cynn, cello
- Lara Mitofsky-Neuss, bass clarinet
- Jessie Nucho, flute
- Amy Foote, voice
- MaryClare Brzytwa, flute, alto flute, wind effects
- Jeffrey Anderle, clarinet
- Dren McDonald, acoustic guitar
- Taurin Barrera, Technical Coordinator
- Zach Miley, Assistant Engineer
- Jason O'Connell, Senior Recording Engineer
- MaryClare Brzytwa, Facility Coordinator
- Richard Savery, Music Prep
- Karry Walker, vocals